Tuesday 5 October 2010

How to decoupage a tatting shuttle? – Tutorial


As I have promised in my previous post, I'll show you today how to decorate a tatting shuttle using a decoupage technique. You will need :
*shuttle (Clover),
*acrylic paint in bright colours (I used antique white and pink),

*decoupage glue (I used Mod Podge, but you can use any PVA craft glue –a little worse effect, but it works),
*paper napkin
*varnish,
*some brushes (including foam brush – you can use a small piece of sponge)

 
Paint the shuttle with a white acrylic paint, leave to dry (you can cheat a little using a hairdryer)
Repeat 2 or more times, until satisfactory results
(I added a little bit of pink paint to make some shadows)


Prepare a paper napkin with a nice motif (I recommend bright background). Each paper napkins has several layers, we need only top one. Be careful, because napkins are very fragile. When you have separated a top layer of napkin, you can very carefully tear your motif.



Just now apply a decoupage glue on the motif. You have to do it very gently pressing a napkin using a brush. This is the hardest part of this technique -you need to straighten out any wrinkles but do not destroy the napkin. Leave it to dry. Cut off protruding pieces of the paper napkin.




When it is completely dry, apply a few layers of varnish (leave to dry between applying coats). Leave for 24 hours to dry.


It is going to be your favourite shuttle!



EDIT: here is the picture of the bottom side of my shuttle

28 comments:

  1. hmmmm...now I have to find some pretty napkins and get some mod-podge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decoromana,
    That was so nice of you to tell others how to do this. It's going to have alot of people decorating the tatting shuttles they have & want to spice up with their personal touch now. How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I am going to do makeovers for all my old shuttles..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much- this is wonderful! Do you think it would also work with origami paper?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this awesome tutorial. Your Clover shuttle looks really pretty now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really glad that you like this tutorial.

    Michelle -origami paper should work, but try to wet the piece you are going to use (by water), applay glue on the shuttle, press the paper, glue once again, leave to dry. If something is wrong or you just don't like it, you can always wash out with soap and water

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I really love that idea and your tutorial was brilliant, and your shuttle is really pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josie - Yes, I do. I have just added the picture of the bottom side.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I will try this! I appreciate it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ve seen that shuttle today and it looks even better than on the photos - it's BEAUTIFUL! :)
    And tutorial is really great

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute shuttle! Although I'm not fond of too much pink ;) And a very nice tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for this tutorial! I've been wondering how to go about adding bling but I wasn't sure how, and thanks to you, now I know! I'm definitely going to do this. This really makes a shuttle 'yours'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the tutorial. I have everything but the paper napkins, if I had some I'd be making these right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW- thanks so much. I have so many plain, boring Clover shuttles- now they will all be different and BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your shuttle looks so pretty! This is an awesome idea and thank you for posting a tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely way to personalise a shuttle! You are so creative! Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, I got my Mod Podge, but I see that I'm going to have to get paper napkins...Hmmmm!!!! I'm also going to have to get different brushes and that other stuff you have...Varnish and stuff! I am SO EXCITED TO TRY THIS! TEE HEE! :D I also got some bling to put on top! Ya gotta make it sparkly. I'm a glittery kind of girl. I am the kind of girl that will add glitter to the decoupage I should probably do that before I put the sealer on, huh? I have some glue pens and very very fine ground glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just come across this information on Decoparge...thanks for sharing Ingrid.....Your shuttles looks so beautiful
    Hugs
    Joy in OZ

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your works are beautiful. I love decoupage, napkins and tissues.
    Greetings from Buenos Aires, Argentina,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  20. it's sooooo beautiful! I just love it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Romana, gracias por compartir este bello tutorial, ya realice algunas y ya comparti este enlace con las amigas para que vengan a verte. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just saw this on Facebook and was redirected here. What a wonderful concept! I have to try it as soon as I find some nice napkins to use. Thank you! OmonSan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Two and a half years after this post, and I just fell in love! I recently picked up tatting as a tribute to my great-grandmother (and to make my grandma happy, who was afraid the craft would die out in the family). As I pondered motifs for my shuttles, I remembered the stash of gorgeously patterned vintage tissue paper my late grandfather gave me when I was in my teens. I never could bear using it to wrap gifts and see it crumpled in the bottom of a wastebasket; now I can crank out an army of customized shuttles! Thank you so much for sharing! - Many thanks from Dayton, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sorry if you have already answered this a hundred times before, but what is the "varnish" you use?

    Thank you and kind regards,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice instructions. I haven't been able to find pretty napkins like that, will keep looking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails